3.09.2009

Work versus Fun

This week is Spring Break for K. That means I have help getting things done around the shop. But I am bad at using the help sometimes. I have been on a roll, using a scheduling system that has been letting me get lots of things done around the shop, but on a very set timetable. This means that I have been accomplishing things, just not what I have been wanting to or expecting to. Some of this is because I haven't set up things in the right order, so the steps leading up to something aren't complete, some of this is bad management- i would rather sit and work and chat than do something different but alone...

C says that everything now a days is a process. I remember when I wanted to do something I could just go do it- now it is a process to accomplish just about everything. Need to download books onto the MP3 player- oops- it needs an update first. Want to e-mail your doctor to confirm an appointment- oops- you need to set up an account and be verified first. Want to return a purchase at a 24 hour retail store- oops- only 8am-8pm (when the place is the place is busy and getting parking is impossible, and the greeter harasses you on the way in until you produce a recipt, while you get it out of your purse and plople bang into you and your cart starts to roll away...)

There are so many things I have given up because the process has just gotten to be more than the reward is worth. And I try to streamline my own processes, but that is hard when what you do is dependant on so many other people and what they do. There are just too many prcesses, and practices, and standards- and the inability to deviate from them (even when it is the right and smart thing to do). We are boxing ourselves in and I want to break out!

No comments: