3.26.2009

Sleep..wonderful sleep

I'll admit it.. I am spoiled. Most of the year I get to go to sleep and wake up according to my body's needs and rhythms. Typically I am in bed by 10 and up by 6. But there are a few times a year where I cannot adhere to by body's clock and am forced to stay awake much later than usual. It kills me. I mean I am lucky not to fall asleep standing up, and I barely remember anything that happened while I was awake. It really is like my brain turns off but my eyes stay open.

One of these times is soon approaching. We are going on vacation soon with some friends of ours, and I just know that my 9-10 pm bed time most likely will not fit in with our schedule, and getting up before 6 will make me the only person awake for hours I am sure.

So what I propose to do is to shift my schedule. This week I am forcing myself to stay up until at least ten. I would like that to be up and functional, but the last few days has found me in bed, awake, watching TV. But hey, at least I was awake. Then as the next weeks fly by I am going to shift the bed time by 15 minutes. This should have me awake till about 11 pm without too much problem, and hopefully it will only shift my waking time by an hour as well. So far I am waking up closer to 6 am than to 5 am, so I think the forced awake at night is having some effect.

I hope to still get my 8 hours sleep just at a different time, and if I get to go to sleep earlier on vacation, great... and if I get to sleep later that is fine too.. but I'll pack lots of knitting just in case there are long hours in the lobby waiting for everyone else to get up...

No comments: