3.17.2009

I start to Garden

I get to start to garden this week. I am very excited. I think that eating food that you grow yourself can be one of the most rewarding things in life. I also love the things that I learn each year. Last year I learned that if you plant two kinds of peppers too close together they will cross pollinate and come out all weird, or not at all. Actually I think my cucumbers did the same thing now that I think about it.

We bought a freezer and i am so excited. Lots of room to freeze and store my bountiful harvest for use during the rest of the year. I have been doing research into the best methods of freezing and how long certain vegetables will last in the freezer.

This year I am trying quite a few new things- or new varieties of things I have grown before. Some of this is due to the fact that we joined a local CSA, so I want to grow different things that I will be picking up from the farm each week.

Today I plant my peas and my first radishes... yum...peas...And in a few weeks the kohlrabi and cauliflower go in. New this year is luffa- i have read that they are edible when small and I know they make great sponges when large. Also new this year is garlic- I planted it in the fall and it should be ready by late June. Maybe mom will be here when it is ready to harvest.

To me the planting of peas means that spring is here. I should be able to get out my shorts and soon be sitting in the sun feeling the warmth upon my face. I can't wait!

No comments: