3.17.2009

A Knitting Interlude


I started to hear it on Wednesday last week, ever faintly. The sound was emanating from my ottoman- the distinct cry of unloved yarn, whispering.."knit me...knit me..."

But alas it was ignored. Things to do and other things to knit. I finished some face scrubbers, and a baby hat (anyone have a baby that needs a hat??)..I could tell the yarn was crushed by the pure ignorance on my part. Didn't I know how much more I would enjoy knitting that yarn, rather than the cotton I was using? But the clicking of needles and my audio book was loud enough for me to drown out its cries...

Thursday it bellowed to me as I awoke.."KNIT ME...KNIT ME.." I could not get it's cry out of my mind. I broke down, grabbing the hank and rewinding it into two equal balls. The sound of "KNIT ME" doubled in its intensity. Two cakes of yarn calling my name, and as it slipped through my fingers onto the ball winder I couldn't bear to ignore it any longer.

So I grabbed it, a pattern, and needles, and cast on. My first toe up, short row heel, on two circular needles, sock. I knit almost all of Thursday. Watching Season 4 of The Wire, the magic of the sock began from the moment I cast on. No boring rib cuff here, right into the deep end of a toe. Then up the foot as the lace pattern became second nature and easier with each round. Onto the heel, the short rows forming a heel in a way I have never seen before, the shaping is wonderful, and no stitches to pick up- so easy!

Friday I meant to work and ignore the socks calling, but all it too was for C to say "It's Friday, don't work" and I ran back to my knitting. I was withing a few inches of finishing by day's end. And Sunday my mission was complete- the first sock- done. I even took pictures and walked around with it on for a while (I was that proud of myself).

Now the second ball sits in waiting as I finish a few other items I need to knit.But I hear it's whining. I won't have to wait long- I can't resit the temptation of the second sock!

No comments: