8.20.2012

Philly Folk Fest Day 3

Well I have had crazier days there, but in the end, I was happy with the sales, and ecstatic with the repeat sales, I am always amazed how much this festival really is a family.

The weather held out for us and the day went by pretty quickly. I was super excited to be able to barter for a T-shirt I really wanted from a vendor I haven't seen in quite a few years.

Speaking of fiber and clothing. There was way too much of it his year, at least 12 of the vendors had some kind of clothes.

I also have a problem with "fair trade" at any festival. First, I think it should be quarantined from handcrafts, not mixed in. (Folk Fest at least denotes the difference in the fest guide, most do not). I also think this should be used to augment a show. If a promoter can't find someone that makes dresses to come, then yes, invite fair trade dresses, but if you can get a handcrafter then that person should be afforded the luxury of not having the competition from someone who does not make their things and can sell them for a song and still make cash. The same goes for beaded and other jewelry, shoes, leather items, and any other "fair trade" item. When festivals begin to realize fair trade is not fair to the US Handcrafter then the whole system will be better.

Load out wasn't bad at all. First I was amazed, just the fact that for once it was cool and dry, it made a big difference. We also started taking down tent sides and ropes and signs earlier in the day when we could see better and taking them to the car. Once the time came we started with inventory and then displays and finally the tent. Just as we were leaving others were lining up to get into the field. but 60 minutes for us and we were gone. Home and in bed by midnight. Woot!

Well my busy time of the summer is over. I have a few weekends off and the just small one day events after that. I visit my mom next month so I am planning that trip with fun things for both of us to do. Next big show is the end of September. I am excited to get back to the smaller shows where I have the time and energy to devote to everyone who comes by.

Time to try and devour that crazy list of things to so I have in front of me. Gonna be a great few days easing back into real life! Thanks for being on the ride with me:)



No comments: