8.04.2012

Musikfest Day 1

Wow, did I wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or what? I was crank-y. All I wanted was to come into the show, set up, and avoid drama. I could, but it took effort to do so. I appreciate that ll my friends worry about me because there is another soapmaker at the event. I am glad they worry about me because that person is in a "better spot" (I am not so sure of that). But to spend the first hour of so with everyone coming up and wanting to chat about it..not so fun.

Oh, and just a little craft show etiquette: if you are not there to set up, and decide to wander through anyway, do not get offended when you are perceived as a threat or completely brushed off. When we are setting up and loading out, we are at our most vulnerable. The vans we drive are all open so we can unload, our inventory is laid out everywhere, and our personal belongings like purses and electronics are not in the safest locations yet. This is a stressful time for us. When you wander through trying to negotiate the stuff, we all honestly think you may be trying to steal something. Most loss at a show comes during load in and load out, not during the show itself. Please, wait to come through when the show is officially open. You will enjoy our customer service much more, and we will be ready to serve you to our utmost ability. I know it is fun to feel like you are "back stage" but we just worry about your intentions and your safety.

OK, so back to the show...Things started off slow. By 7:30 pm I had one sale and I was starting to get worried that the night might be a flop. But happily I was wrong. Just as I mentioned to K and C that I really was worried, the love started pouring in. Thank you all for that. Just like everyone else, I go through times wondering if I am doing the right thing, if I am on the right path, and your kind words reassure me that I am.It means the world to me!

Between 8 and 10 we rocked it out and did a good days work in just a few hours. Then it was time to inventory, rearrange a few things, and get ready to close up. At 11 we were out of there and on our way home. An hour or so of paperwork later I got to climb into bed.

A broken night's sleep has left me a little tired, but I can manage and a good night's sleep tonight will come for sure just due to exhaustion. So it is time for me to go pack some inventory and some food, and head out in just a few scant hours. See you soon!

No comments: