8.09.2007

Musikfest Day 5 August 7, 2007

Horary for K! I say this because she opened the booth for me this morning so I could attend a meeting down at MLAC. It was nice to feel normal in the middle of chaos and go and do something for another show a few months from now. It reminds me this show that is kicking my butt much more than in previous years, has an end, that it is in sight, and that there are better things lurking on the horizon. I have to admit though the meeting brings out the competitor in me. Being on the committee, means we get worksheets that break down items such as sales per artist and percentage of inventory sold per artist. I always have to see where I rank compared to others, and dare I say it, see if I sold more or less than the other soap maker at the event. I mean it isn’t like I really do anything with the info, other than either smile or pout for a few hours, but I do find it motivating sometimes to know where I stand amongst those I believe are elite artisans.

The day itself was hot, very hot, heat index warning kind of hot, but surprisingly not as hot as I expected it to be. When I arrived at the show I was angry, the lot that I am supposed to park in was full, not because it had too many cars, but because the cars that were there have no clue how to park and not leave close to a car length between each other. All that wasted space, but not enough room to parallel park a minivan anywhere. So I had to pay for parking, and I showed my parking pass to the lot attendants, now this lot is not 20 feet away from the lot I am supposed to park in, so I explained my situation and asked for a break on the parking, not free, a break, to which they said no and took my $10 and helped me back in. Now if I wasn’t leaving at night with things to carry I would have gone elsewhere but I needed the proximity factor too much to argue. So here is my suggestion- use a volunteer, and help us park, just for a few hours in the morning…. please…

The girl scouts that run a camp type thing during the festival came and interviewed me. They were good questions, like where do I see the market going and what are some of the pros and cons of running your own business. K was there to listen and she said I did pretty good. It was fun.

Late afternoon they called for rain, but it didn’t come until late, while I was asleep, with scary lightening that woke me up and K said it woke her up too, both of us with thoughts of the tents being blown away… we need to relax..

Quote for the day: (speaking about the Patchouli fragranced soap) “It’s so you can actually be clean, but still retain a dirty hippy smell”. Priceless!

No comments: