8.05.2007

Musikfest 2007 Day 2 August 4

The day started out pretty much as most days at Musikfest start out, you open your tent, you set things up, and you sit and sweat. It is only around 5 pm when the crowds start to come out, and the people start to spend money. I do think there is a direct correlation between how much you drink and how much you spend. Typically a little alcohol opens the wallet more easily, but too much means that people aren’t making any sort of decision and aren’t spending a thing.

For the afternoon I just caught up on stuff. I read a few magazines and finished assembling a bunch of bath mitts. Tried to relax and rest as much as possible, this show is a long haul and it doesn’t do you any good to get too tired right out of the gate. The temperature soared and I don’t think I had one conversation with a customer that didn’t involve the weather and impending heat wave. The grass was dry and the dust started kicking up, it lays on everything and drives my allergies wild. It has been like this for the past few years because the creek keeps flooding, depositing fine silt where we put our booths and this silt just gets everywhere.

The evening was uneventful but fun. K came and brought her beau, K. they worked the stand while I sat back and watched, they are pretty good at this and I think between the two of them they know everyone in town. It was great to have company and good conversation. They are two very smart young people who have their heads on their shoulders and their whole life ahead of them. I like hanging out with them a lot.

It seems after 5 the night went pretty fast, with it marked every hour by the bell guy playing, it always amazes me how fast the night goes. It is like having a giant, loud, repetitive, grandfather clock tolling away the hours. On the whole the day was fair, I would have been very happy with $100 more in sales, but alas, it did not happen…many others were also complaining of the slow night and I felt that there were less people there, my trips to the WC were easy, I didn’t have to fight the huge crowd like usual. Strange way to determine how busy the place is ehh? Gauging it by how easy your walk to and from the loo is.

No comments: