8.02.2007

Links of the Week

Well once again, a strikingly eclectic mix of things that I have found interesting on the Internet.

The first is actually a few sites about being Child Free. What is Child Free? Well, it is much like being Childless, without the longing or desire to have or add children to your family unit. There are a lot of reasons to be Child Free, mine is honestly, a complete and utter disgust at the thought of actually being pregnant, going through all those physical and hormonal changes, and then releasing a child through bodily orifices into the world. It literally makes my skin crawl when I think about it. Now let me explain two things, this does not mean I may never raise a child, it just means there will be a huge chance that I have no biological connection to it, I like the idea of adoption. Also, if the current techniques I am using to avoid pregnancy fail, I do not believe in abortion as birth control. But I digress, there has been some links I have come across about being Child Free, like this one at Desert News, and monthly online magazine called Unscripted, sometimes I think most of the contributors are much more attached to being Child Free for life than I am, I’ll just see where life takes me and see if anything changes my mind, I’m still young, and there are still thousands of children who need homes, maybe some year mine will be ready for one, but not anytime soon.

Here is a great link for the Imelda Marcos in your life: Toms Shoes. For every pair of shoes you purchase for yourself they donate a pair of shoes to a needy child. Is there a better way to increase your shoe collection and help the world at the same time? They have shoes for women, men, and children, and even have some hand painted versions. While not high style, they seem great for the beach, hanging around the house, running errands, or anyplace else you may wear tennis shoes.

I have always been interested in Origami, but other than a simple paper crane, I never got that deep into doing it, but I sure can appreciate it. Oriland is over the top Origami. From the home page that makes me think “It’s a small world after all” should be playing in the background, right to some of the most complex Origami I have ever seen, it makes me want to break out small pieces of pastel paper and start folding!

And finally, since I haven’t done a Yarny Sunday Post this past week, here are some of the most awesome hardwood needles that I have come across. Winter Rose Knitting where all the needles are made by hand from a variety of hardwoods. They make my mouth water with their beauty. I plan on getting my mom a pair for her birthday for sure.

No comments: