7.04.2007

Wednesday Rant


My rant today is about truth in advertising. In short, I am tired of being lied to and I am tired to competing with companies who lie. Don't they understand?

Lying to me assumes that I am an idiot and that I take what you tell me at face value. It assumes that I will never catch you in your lie, and assumes that once I do, I'll forgive you anyway and keep buying your product or using your service. WRONG! I research, I enjoy researching, and once I find you out, I will stop using you and tell all my friends to do the same. It may take me a while to find your secret, but be sure, I will….
Lying ruins the game for everyone else. Take for instance my business- natural soap making. There is no FDA rule about using terms like "natural" or that you can only name your company "XYZ Organics" if your product is actually organic, so companies bend and push and downright lie about exactly what is in (or not in) their products. This means once their customers find out their lie- many assume the whole industry is lying, and they are not. It also means there is a small percentage of the population with small enough minds that they blindly believe the lying company and thus assume everyone else is, well, full of lies.
Lying is not a long term business plan. It can't be the way a company that plans on being around for 100 years plans to do business. It is a quick way to make money and then disappear once you are found out. Now I understand there is, lets say, puffery- making your product sound high class when it is a notch or two lower, but please, I am tired of people trying to put one over on me.

What started me on this rant you ask.. Well go here and find out. http://www.drbronner.com/soap_test_video.html. The music is a little loud, but basically it is all about truth in advertising. It covers what I was talking about in note #2 and I hope you find it enjoyable, I sure did…

No comments: