7.27.2007

Recipe (or Tip) of the Week- Take it Slow

Today’s tip can be used in many situations, including life and business: Don’t make too many changes all at once. You might regret it and it is harder to see what is working and what isn’t. This has been my life lesson for the past week in a sense.

It started last weekend at the Blueberry Festival. A new steering committee along with a new partnership with a local arts organization infused the show with ideas, and I dare to say, cash. They moved the stage, brought in new entertainment, added stages, added children’s games, brought in a car show, changed ticket prices, added a charge for parking, and added a day to the festival- all this year. I just don’t know how you can effectively look at all these changes and see what it was exactly what impacted attendance and impacted fundraising, there are just too many variables.

This week I have had several opportunities come my way- special order products, starting a line of soaps for bridal showers/ wedding favors, and possibly getting a wholesale distributor. It’s just too much for me to do all at once. I have to break down each opportunity, see how it pans out, and then decide to add the next opportunity or not. I could jump in and do them all, but keeping tract of what is working and what isn’t may just be, well too much work and too distracting from my core, reliable, business.

And the same goes for me personally. We had some work done on the house, and I thought I would also take that time to start changing my diet, and my exercise schedule, and other personal things. It was just too much, so my floors are done and look great, but I haven’t gotten back on my exercise bike yet.

So my tip for the week is to take it slow, one step at a time, and sure it seems too slow sometimes, we all want instant gratification, but taking it slow lets you really figure out what is working and what isn’t.

No comments: