8.25.2005

Philadelphia Folk Festival- Day 0- Set Up

This morning dad and I went and set up the booth at the Philadelphia Folk Festival. All I can say is that if the rest of the show goes as well as set up, it will be a dream. We went down early, because the paperwork suggested it and were quite pleased with the EXTREAMLY accurate directions to the show location. When the directions said 2.1 miles, they meant 2.1 miles. Once we were there we were not sure where to set up, or to park. The very helpful volunteers (who weren’t sure either) explained to us where to park and who to talk to in order to get our questions answered. In just minutes we learned where to park, where our space was, where to unload, and where to get out badges. We had plenty of room to park in front of our spacious space and met what appears to be a set of very fine and hospitable neighbors.

Once we set up, we wandered to the line where we waited to get our vendor badges. These give us access to almost all areas of the event, including the volunteer/vendor food tent, the air conditioned porta-pots, and the vast and extremely packed camping area. So did I mention the food? They feed us can you believe it? Two meals a day, two hot meals, two meals that include dessert… I could go on and on. I figured just the meals alone save about $90 in food for the three of us for three days of the show. And if we had gotten wind of it earlier, we could have eaten breakfast there today too!!

Once we received our vendor badges we wandered the show site, hoping to get our bearings. I can't believe how big this place is. There is one main stage, and what seems like a dozen smaller stages (although I think its more like 6). There is a great site map available here, which is so not to scale. Once we got hot enough we decided to call it a day. We stopped for lunch, at Costco to pick up paper bags, and the bank for change. At home we packed a few special bail jars full of bath fizzys I want to try and sell, some bath salts I was low on, and made some bath salts I am out of. Just need to print flyers and make up some signs and then I'll be done for the night.

No comments: