8.14.2005

Musikfest Day 9

10 days is hard on the human body. Add the heat, and it's brutal. ArtsQuest set up a water station for the artists today because of the heat. I nice office type water cooler, and a few five gallon containers to keep us in fresh, cold water and to keep us from passing out in our booths, many of which had become tiny greenhouses. I've very lucky to have my "ocean view", a spot by the creek that gives me shade and a little respite from the oppressive heat. If I didn't have that the lip balms and lotion bars would have been liquid and impossible to use or sell. Dad and C learned that if you set the fan up to blow upward into the top of the tent, it actually helps keep the heat from building up and you can actually feel the air move on the other side of the tent. Many commented that they could feel the breeze as they looked at the soaps.

I finally got to meet Josh, the events coordinator for the artists. He seems like a nice guy and seems pretty competent. I hope he stays in the position., Unfortunately the position seems like a revolving door, I think I've seen like 4 or 5 people in the position since I started doing this festival 3 years ago. Continuity makes for a better festival for the artists because we know who to go to, we make a connection with them, and they understand who are the complainers and who aren't. For example, I very rarely complain, so when I do need something, they know I really need it. If the coordinator changes every 6 months, its hard to build this type of trust and understanding between the artists and show promoter.

Once complaint: Parking is a joke. C parked yesterday and his car was at the end of the lot where we are supposed to park, permit in the window, and he got a ticket, while the lot was full of at least a ½ dozen cars, permit-less, with no tickets. It seems the Bethlehem Police don't seem to enforce the ArtsQuest lot signage. What good is that? I pay $600+ for a booth fee and then have to pay extra for parking just because they don't enforce the rules? Those non- permitted cars should not only be ticketed, but they should be towed. And when the lot is full of people who don't belong there, we are told that the closest place to park is no where near within a comfortable walking distance, making it impossible to keep stock in the car, or to carry stock into the festival without a dolly or cart. And then I have to leave the festival, at night, walking all that way, with a wad of cash with me. Not safe at all. I have a feeling that if ArtsQuest ran this by their insurance company they'd have an aneurysm; it has to be a big opening for a lawsuit if an artist gets mugged on the way to their car because they can't provide safe and adequate parking. I've never sued in my life, but I know if that happened to me, I'd certainly give it a try.

No comments: