8.06.2005

Musikfest Day 1

Musikfest- Day 1

Last nights crowd was smaller and a lot less rowdy that I expected. Sales were slower than I remember from two years ago, but since I wasn't there for the first few days last year I don't have a solid recollection to go on. They moved many of the booths around and I have a few new neighbors, which is OK, its good to get to know some new faces. There are many more crafters there this year, a bunch of people I know from other shows that have never done this one. Overall I think the quality of workmanship is increased, some nice pottery, painted tiles, sculpture, painting and woodwork. I hope that they sell enough to come back next year. I think this show is defiantly its own animal, in the fact that people come for the free music and come though the crafts area as a second thought, so you get lots of people who say things like "I don't even know this was here" and stuff like that. And since the music is free (and the food/beer and crafts aren’t) you get lots of lookers, people who come for the free entertainment, maybe a few beers, but don't have the expendable income for a bunch of artwork. Personally, no matter how good of artists they get in, I think this show will always be best for vendors who sell low dollar items and have more of a "festival" than a "fine art" appeal. This may change if they ever charge an overall gate fee (like Mayfair) but I think that will spoil the feel of this show, its one of the most fun to sit and to people watch, it has an extremely varied demographic, and really represents the melting pot (or salad bowl if you prefer) of the area. 1 down, 9 to go.

No comments: