8.13.2005

Musikfest Day 8

The hot humid weather is just oppressive. People walk by the booth almost like zombies, sweat pouring down their faces, and a glazed look in their eye. When you do make verbal contact with them, many give a little jump, the heat has sent them into a mental parallel universe, where they are daydreaming of air conditioning or at least a cool tropical breeze, and you have ruined the imagery by bringing them back to the real world. No one is making decisions, they stand there and say "I want something, but I don't know what", and all your suggestions do is confuse them more. Vendors hide in their booths by their fans, dreading the time when they need to get up for a purchasing customer. It is a bittersweet thing, making money to pay the rent, but having to leave your cool special place to do it. No one wants to carry anything so they say they'll be back, but you know they'll get too hot and tired to make the return trip later in the day.

I did have my third wholesale inquiry of the show. It is one of the things I love, when a shop owner comes by and is impressed enough to see if I sell wholesale. It really makes me smile because they have dozens, if not hundreds of places to choose from, they go to whole shows dedicated to artists who sell wholesale, but they like my stuff enough to ask me if I do. This was my third of the show and I really hope that something comes of the three. They are in varied geographic locations, one near Philly, one near me, and one out in Pittsburgh. After the show I'll send out my samples and my price list and then I'll wait and see.

No comments: