8.11.2005

Musikfest Day 6

I miss Polka. Really I do!. My booth is placed just over the water from FestPlatz, and in previous years I have been able to hear Polka all day, every day, for the entire festival. I have gotten quite adept at doing the Chicken Dance but I digress… Every year festivalgoers would comment on the music I was being subjected to, and I would comment that although I do not own any Polka, I prefer it over lets say, Urban Rap, any day. This would always get a chuckle and a nod of agreement. Well last night I was subjected to Electronica. I'll take my Polka back please. Now, very few of you would guess that I used to be a pink haired, nose-ringed college student. But I was. I listened to lots of Nine Inch Nails, Ministry with a large helping of Skinny Puppy on the side. I am not afraid of the noise, nor am I turned off by it, heck I still own some and am a big fan of listening on log road trips where I just need some loud, fast music to match my loud, fast driving. But the way it wafted over into Handwerksplatz was annoying. You could tell that festivalgoers were annoyed, other crafters were annoyed, and in general the mood darkened. I'd rather be laughed at for doing the chicken dance….please give me back my Polka!

Fragrance is the sense most tied to our memories and I had a wonderful day of past and future memories. I heard about soap at summer camp, soap at the club, and soap at grandmother's house. Customers who took the time to smell the soaps and share what the fragrances brought foremost in their minds brought about all these stories. Thanks for sharing. I also learned what Pop-Pop's favorite fragrance is (its Gardenia) and I hope the grandchildren with them remember this and forever think of their grandfather when they smell Gardenias. A little girl announced what her father's favorite fragrance is (chocolate) and once again, I hope to see her in my booth in 10 years, telling me stories about her dad and his chocolate ice cream. Today I hope I helped make memories.

Credit card minimums. Do you know that legally stores cannot enforce a minimum credit card purchase? I believe they can put up signs and ask that you please make a minimum purchase, but if they turn down your business you can report them to the credit card agency and they may loose their ability to take credit cards as a method of payment (if they get enough complaints). But so many people rely on plastic now, that I think its gotten ridiculous. (I do it too though, credit card for a $5 purchase, I'm guilty too!) I had a customer pay for a $3.75 lotion bar with a credit card. I then loose $0.45 and almost 3% to the processing company. Is it worth it for me to take credit cards? Sure is! Do we all need to use them more wisely (especially when dealing with small businesses and small purchases)? Most of us do. I do for sure. I will try to do better if you will, deal?

ADA Accessibility. Every day at least one person who comes by the booth that is physically challenged in some way. And I constantly feel bad that it is so difficult to access my goods. It is a small space I am allowed to get up in (10'x10') and a table to put things on and space for me to sit makes this smaller still. I looked up some information on wheelchairs and found this:
Wheelchair Space Allowances:
· Clear width - 36" continuously and 32" at a point (doorway, etc.)
· Width for passing - 60" minimum.
· Turning space - 60" diameter minimum.
· Clear floor space - 30" x 48" minimum for stationary wheelchair.
The fact that I use 2' wide tables in a "u" shape means that I have 72" available to enter and exit my booth. It also means that I think I meet the other basic requirements. But that doesn't help anyone who can't reach the back of the tables or the higher displays from the height of a chair. And so few other craft booths allow for any space for a wheelchair at all. Its just a little thing that crosses my mind each day and I am at a loss for ways to make it better.

No comments: