7.20.2011

Oh the pain, or... the things I learned yesterday

Yesterday morning while loading some tent weights into my car, I caught my finger between two of them.. Instant blood blister.

First to any of my neighbors who heard me shout "Damn" about none times in a row yesterday morning, I apologize for my outburst. If it means anything, what was coming out of my mouth was MUCH more censored than what was going through my head.

Second, it is always a good idea to have emergency ice in the house. Like those bags you break and they cool, or the blue ices that STAY FLEXIBLE when frozen. I only had a block of reusable blue ice for my cooler. Rock hard and impossible to apply cold to a small digit like a finger.

Third, wrap said ice in a towel first. If you do not, the creaming pain from your finger will make you wonder if keeping the swelling down is worth the possible frost bite.

Fourth, it is hard to drive while wiggling in pain. I was leaving for a friends house right before the accident. I decided to go anyway. Not my shining moment, but at least she had flexible ice when I arrived.

Fifth, once said friend saves your butt with proper ice and towel, going on with your day will bring on periods of intense pain as the nerves in your finger go nuts. Also the pressure of going up into the Pocono Mountains will increase the pressure in the blood blister that has formed under your finger nail, thus will increase the pain. But coming back down and going home makes it feel much better.

Lastly, before bed load up on Tylenol PM or a similar over the counter drug. Kept me from waking up every time I moved my hand.

Oh and as a bonus... it will still hurt the next day, less, but enough to keep you from doing any real work for the day. I am still not sure if a doctors office visit is in order. I think it will go away on its own. I would like to avoid the nail piercing alternative, or the cost of someone telling me I am just fine.

And in case you are keeping track, yes today is supposed to be a running day, no I am not running, yes it is because of my finger. Yes I am officially a wimp. I can live with that title.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

:(
hope you're all better
that really must have hurt!