2.26.2009

Starting the Garden

OK, so I am not actually starting the garden- planting seeds. But I am ordering seeds, deciding on what to plant and where. I find great joy in this. We are even buying an extra freezer so that I have a place to store my abundance of vegetables I grow each year. I have gotten better and better at pickling and canning my harvest as well. This year we are also joining a CSA- community supported agriculture- and each week I will go to my local farm and pick up a box of the freshest vegetables and herbs they have to offer. I though this will be a great supplement to my garden, it is less expensive that a weekly run to the farmer's market, and, since I just get what they give me, it will make me experiment and eat foods that I don't typically eat.

I have been gardening since we moved into this house and I can't imagine it otherwise. Although I get busy and I travel, as long as I plan nothing goes to waste. I enjoy the early mornings picking and eating the freshest food right off the vine. Throughout winter I love to eat what I have saved, knowing that the peppers I put in the stew came from my land just a few months before.

This year i am adding some fruit- some blueberries to my garden. That way I can learn to make jelly and jam as well. It is also my first year growing garlic which makes me excited because I love to make garlic infused vinegars.

All this talk is just making me itch to get my hands in the dirt. I am going to go off and order those seeds now!

No comments: