2.19.2009

Workaholic?

I have a typical routine. I get up early, I putz on the computer for a few hours, I get dressed and go to the workshop, I shower and change- typically putting on PJ's- cook dinner, watch TV, knit, and go to sleep...

And when my routine is changed everything just goes wonky. I get up early and putz on the computer- but I also start the dishwasher, and the laundry, and sometimes I go to WalMart at 6 am. I get dressed and go to the workshop, until I get too hungry to continue, and then I eat. I work some more, clean the house some, do things that have been on the to do list for 3 years (sometimes more), and have a snack when I get hungry again. I change into my PJ's and do more- sometimes I knit, sometimes I do paperwork, sometimes I play a video game, sometimes I knit. Then it is bed time...

When I am alone and left to my own schedule I sleep less, I eat less, I do more. I accomplish things. I don't enjoy sitting and watching TV as much. I enjoy that I can leave a project consuming the living room for a week. What I don't get is that these are all things I can do when I am not alone- I just don't do them. Why not??? Because I don't want to wake up anyone? Because I don't want to inconvenience anyone? Because I don't want to make anyone think I am ignoring them? I don't know and I think that answering these questions will help me be a better person, will help me balance life and work in a better way.

I feel that I will be changing a lot in the next year. The business is evolving, I am learning a new language, and I am learning again how to have a more fulfilling life- to reduce stress- to work smarter, not harder- to stop feeling guilty about what is or what isn't being done, to cleanse my life of drama and emotional vampires, to eat better, to exercise more, to in short, live better. I am only a month and a half into it, but this is gonna be an interesting year...

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

sounds like a plan! best of luck with it
i think we're all in the same boat. some of us will get there, some of us won't. i keep going in these little circles - maybe i'll start a wihrlpool thingie :P