5.09.2008

This would be a fitting end...

So I will admit... I have always wanted to be cremated when I am dead and gone. But I also understand that really what I want is a useless thing.. it is what my family NEEDS that is the most important. So, if my loved ones NEED a grave to visit, so be it, do with my hollow shell what you wish, for it is useless without my soul, my spirit, and is nothing but an empty vessel once I have passed on.

But as a soap maker- a person who has a healthy awe and respect for sodium hydroxide-lye- because I use it ever day in the process of making soap, I think I have found how I want to be, well, disposed of....

Dissolve my body with lye. Yep.. it is the new idea in mortuary science. The process has been used to...well..dispose of... animals and human cadavers used for scientific purposes for years. It is cleaner than cremation- no carbon emissions, no mercury from my fillings- plus there is still enough bone left to return to my family in an urn, should they want it. But the rest of me, well it would be flushed down a drain. And although this sound gross, it would be no more dangerous than regular human feces waste, and much better than the blood and embalming fluid that goes down the drain during the process that we use now.

Yep, that is it, that is my decision, dissolve me with lye. And if the process isn't legal by the time I pass.. donate me to science...

No comments: