5.10.2008

Happy Birthday to me...

Today I am 34…

Where did the time go, just 10 years ago I was 24. I was just 3 years out of college. I was either in Las Vegas or Florida. Getting or just gotten married (not to c btw). And entering a pretty dark period of my life.

Now I am 34. I am happy. I am healthier than I was at 33 (6+ lbs lighter). I am the happiest I have been I think ever. I have connections with my family so strong that my dad actually lives with us when he is home on the weekend. I have a small but strong and stable circle of friends. My life is normal, and sometimes a little boring but I like it.

I make soap for a living, traveling to craft shows in PA, NY, NJ and MD mostly. I have a wonderful husband now who supports what I do, most often traveling with me on the weekends. He has a great job and I am blessed to have little stress about money- he does all the stressing. He sees me in ways I do not see myself. To him I am beautiful no matter what I look like- chubby, tired, puffy, angry, anything… My biggest blessing is that he sees me in ways that I cannot see myself, and in this he gives me a glimpse of what I am, what I can be.

I knit as a hobby and have found wonderful cyber friends through Ravelry. I love having the ability to make, to have my hands on something tangible, to see something that only exists in this world because I made it so.

My mom has just started crafting herself- she is making wonderful plush animals. We will go to her first craft show this September and now we have even more to talk about- the great but silly crafting world.

B and I are best buddies. We support each other through highs and lows, personal and professional. She is my go to girl, my big sister I never had.

J is my soul sister. We connect on so many levels, we shared a childhood and this magically transformed itself into the realm of adulthood. We don’t pander to each other, we don’t have to entertain each other, we don’t dwell in the past- we celebrate the future and get each other through the present the best we can.

S is my new friend. We are both crafty and she is witty and beautiful and all that I would like to be if I ever became a mom. Along with her has come the “sewing circle” E,E,M,&R mostly, a circle of opinionated, talented, loving, strong, and gentle women who every week we meet teach me something about them, something about the world, and something about me.

There is A, I don’t see her often, but she is funny, and young, and inspiring, and so easy to be proud of.

And the other A- who is my virtual friend. Who pumps me up when I am low, who reads my blog even when we don't have time to catch up, who takes time to see me when I am near, and time to e-mail when I am far. She is a blessing my business has brought me- a customer turned friend.

And lastly, but certainly not leastly, there is K. My friend, my little sis. How such a young body and mind can harbor such an old soul amazes me every day. She teaches me so much about myself. I see my mistakes and try and keep her from making them, she shows me her triumphs and I get to celebrate with her. I can only hope that I am being a good influence. She makes me want to be a better woman so I can be a better role model, a better mentor to her.

Here is thanks to all of my blessings, that the next year shall be better than the last, and that I shall work to be a better person. It is nice to be 34.

3 comments:

David said...

A very happy birthday to you!

Amazing what can happen in 10 years.

db

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Hedge! You are a blessing to us. I love your wit and your smile and your crazy glowing knitting needles! Hope your year is filled with everything that you wish for.

Jac's Ramblings said...

This is the first time I've read your blog in awhile. I've always felt the same way. You really are my soul sister