5.20.2008

Teppan Hibbachi Steakhouse- my heroes!

I live in Emmaus, PA. The closest restaurant that offers sushi is just down the road a few minutes. A1 Japanese Steak House on Lehigh Street in Allentown. I go there a lot, I would say on average twice a month and in the summer, even once a week. It has never been the BEST sushi around, just close, and affordable with pretty good service.

Until now….

K and I went the other day for a bento box for lunch. I ordered a Sushi and Sashimi Combination plate. It came with a California Roll. So I asked the waitress if I could substitute a tuna roll. She said no. I explained that I am allergic (I use allergy- it is easier to understand than intolerant) to an ingredient in the fake crab (krab) and that I can’t eat it. Could she please check for me, or send over a manager. I then went on to explain that I would be happy to pay more for the tuna roll.

So she left, walked to the back of the sushi bar, spoke with the sushi chef, pointed at us, and then came back and said “no”. What??? I explained it is an allergy issue… (krab has gluten in it because it contains wheat and it makes me ill), I offered to pay more, and we were one of only two tables in the entire restaurant.. and the answer is “no”?????

So I told her to cancel our orders and that we would be going someplace that could accommodate my dietary needs. The roll of her eyes was enough to push me over the edge to never go back again.

So we took the longer drive to Teppan Hibbachi Steakhouse off of Cedar Crest Blvd. I ordered the same thing and asked for a tuna roll instead and no krab in the dish. No problems! At the end of the meal the waiter actually noticed I did not use soy sauce. I explained I can’t eat wheat (which is in the soy sauce) and that it is in the krab too. I was told to come back anytime and they can accommodate me- no Krab! And I didn’t even have to offer to pay more. So now even though the drive is longer, and the prices a little higher (but the food is much better) this is my official new sushi place for life. See how easy it is to win a customer, and one who will blog about how wonderful you are too!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You go girl! I'm also a very loyal client when the owner is nice and refuse to go to places where they're buttheads!

Unknown said...

My family and I have been going to Teppan for years now. The last few times we went I was dissapointed to see a $4.95 charge per person for fried rice that used to come with your habachi meal.
The most recent visit I didn't get my white rice that was supposed to come with my sushi meal. When I asked why I didn't get it I was first told that the rice was wrapped around my sushi. When I asked to see a menu and showed the manager that it said bowl of white rice he said it was a misprint.
They also started to charge for hot tea-$1 a bag.
I don't mind paying for things but you should get what you order.
We'll find another Japanese restaurant.