5.15.2008

May 10-11, Historic Downtown Bethlehem Fine Arts & Crafts Show

Saturday started out as a grey, overcast, cool day that continued to threaten rain most of the day. Set up was easy, getting there was hard because of all of the roads that were closed. Although the paperwork said that Main Street would be closed during the show, the exit from the Hill-to-Hill Bridge to Main Street was closed much earlier, forcing us to find an alternative route. Luckily, being local, this wasn’t too difficult, but I could certainly see where if you came from afar, this could be totally frustrating.

C helped me set up and then went home for a bit and came back later with my dad. Sales were on par with last year, but the show seemed slow. This sometimes happens when the overall sales are more money but you have less of them to fill the day. I knitted some more tawashi and sewed in the ends of a few washcloths too.

Sunday started out with beautiful weather but turned windy and bitter. C dropped me off in the morning and came back in the afternoon in order to hold down the tent all day. I wasn’t really worried about it blowing away, it has really heavy weights on it, but if it gets blowing too heavy it will skitter across the concrete, bending legs and other parts as it goes. There was quite a bit of crashing sounds from both ends of the show and I know of at least two tents that got damaged in the wind. I will take a rainy, gray day over a sunny windy one any time.

Sales were strong and I did better this year than last year. Up about a ½ day of sales. Sunday’s sales were better than Saturday’s which was odd and different than last year, but I expect some of that was due to the impending rain on Saturday.

My only complaint was booth placement. I was in just about the same spot last year, right in front of the Hotel Bethlehem. Last year there were fewer crafters in this area so there was less traffic going between the tents to get to the sidewalk, or the hotel entrance. There were two weddings that day so I felt bad for the brides who arrived just to see EZ-up tents in front of the beautiful hotel. Bet that ruined a few photo ops. My biggest thing is that the entrance to the hotel has a cover, a small roof, which is flat and collected the water from the rain, and when the winds picked up, it blew off the roof, onto C, into the tent, onto the sidewalk, everywhere. They really just shouldn’t put a tent where mine is and give everyone lots of room in and out of the hotel and onto the sidewalk.

But this makes 4 shows for the year: 1 bad, 2 good, 1 terrible.

No comments: