5.01.2008

April 24, 2008- Merlefest Day 2- First day of the Fest

I got to start the day having breakfast with a virtual friend “A”. I got to meet A years ago at Musikfest and to be honest she remembered me better than I remembered her. To me she was just one of the overwhelming number of customers that year. But she has an infectious personality and through the years as she has made orders and we have corresponded about other things, we have stuck up quite a friendship. I was more than pleased and more than a little honored that she would drive an hour from her home just to have breakfast with me before my show started. And it never ceases to amaze me how I can meet friends in such odd ways, how fate throws you together with people who are meant to be in your life. A is one of those people, sweet, charming, and darn funny, we connected in our philosophies on so many topics. I could have sat and happily spent the whole day with her, but alas, I had to leave to set up my booth and sell some soap….

The drive from the hotel was much closer to an hour than the half hour we expected. This changed our perspective on exactly how many hours we would stay open at the show.

Set up was very easy and I loved having the tent provided for me. No need to pack it. No time to set it up, and no need to worry about it blowing away! C left to get some ice for the cooler and for a moment I stressed, thinking that I forgot a box of display baskets, but I found it and all was right in the world. It was odd though, you “sort of” got electricity- you got one large light in the center top of your tent provided for you, but no electrical outlet. Glad I bought batteries for the cash register…

Sales were slow… scary slow…. So I started knitting Tawashi (got ten done) assembled flyers with their order forms (noticing a typo, hey only printed 500 of them!) I was between a shoe guy and a garden light guy- they didn’t do well either so at least it wasn’t me.

We could have stayed till 11 but were allowed to leave at 9. We were out of there at 9 and back to the hotel doe a good nights sleep.

I think I have learned that this big festival thing isn’t for me- I am all up for the local ones, but this travel so far away I don’t think is my cup of tea. Maybe 1 a year just to try something different, but I am not becoming a traveling vendor any time soon.

No comments: