8.21.2011

Philadelphia Folk Festival- Day 2

Not the Saturday that I expected. I thought the 50th would be jam packed with people. And I think it is in camping. But so many people are having fun over there I don't think they are all coming over into the main show area.

The problem with expanding the arts and crafts area to include more vendors is that in this economy that just spreads what little money people have to spend thinner, so they spend less with each vendor so they don't break their budget.

But I did get to see some wonderful regular customers. One has a son going off to college in just a few days, I have known him since he was 12. It has been a pleasure watching him grow up into such a handsome young man. Another missed last year because she was pregnant. She and her husband brought the baby in this year, such a little man! Another missed last year because of a move out west, but was sure to be back for the 50th anniversary this year.

This festival is more than money to me now. It is about the friends I have made, and a community that accepts me and I accept them, eccentricities and all. I wish I made more money today but I don't think I have lost customers, they are just spending their money elsewhere while at the show because they know that can get me online, or at other shows, so it helps them stretch their budget further. My reliability gives them confidence to find my product other ways and to buy things from people they may never see again instead. I am OK with that.

Today is supposed to be an afternoon filled with severe storms. Great. I am going early so I can open up and hopefully get some early morning sales before everyone packs and runs for home. Not sure what tear down ill be like: an evacuation, just a wet mess, or leave it until tomorrow. I just can't leave it in a field overnight by itself if everyone around me has torn down. Gonna be another fun one.

No comments: