8.29.2011

Irene and Random Thoughts

Seeing the flooding at the Colonial Industrial Quarter I am amazed that any tent withstood that during the Musikfest Flood. I am sure Irene flooded it higher, but the sheer volume of water and the amount of space it took over has left me in sheer amazement. There is nothing left to say but this area needs to be abandoned by any festival, it is just too dangerous to take the chance of something like this happening again. If Irene had hit just a few weeks ago I can be certain that more would have been lost to the creek's wrath.

I am posting my last few pictures of Musikfest clean up and my pictures of Irene after this post.

As for us- the house and workshop are just fine. No leaking in the basement and just a little water in the kitchen by the door whee the wind just forced it in. I didn't even notice it until I mopped today and moved the rug- only to lean it was all wet underneath.

The vet is coming today to see the cats. They haven't seen a vet in years but I think one of them is showing signs of feline diabetes and I want to catch that as quickly as I can. Luckily I found a vet that will come to the house. I think that is the best so as to keep their stress levels low. Totally worth the extra money, and besides hauling two cat carriers to the vet is no picnic, so avoiding that is worth its weight in gold.

Had to clean the living room/dining room/kitchen before the vet came today. I was kinda embarrassed by the inch of dust on the bookcase. It looked like an old abandoned house in a Scooby-Do cartoon, all the dust bunnies and cobwebs. Goes to show that for most of July and August I don't really live in my house, I just stop by and sleep every night.

Now my big thing for today is to clean my desk. I did the top hutch this morning, but the desk top and the drawers- oh the drawers! are going to be a challenge. I keep procrastinating out of it, but I really need to do it. But I think I need to finish this blog, work on my web site, and order some supplies first. :)

Irene was good for one thing- I got to rest. Two days of hanging out in the house, watching TV when we had power and just knitting the rest of the time. I got a shawl and a hat done. Now my pile of things that need to be blocked is larger than ever. I think I will take advantage of this nice weather this week to bring the blocking board onto the sun room and get some things done.

So that is kinda it around here. I don't have a show until the end of the month but Dad has the farm markets and a few craft shows before then. Just a lot of inventory to make and paperwork to catch up on so I can go into the really busy season without too much on my plate.

Hope you all fared well in the storm!

1 comment:

shoelessruth said...

hedge,
glad you came through the storms alright. let me know when things calm down a bit; we need to get together.