1.07.2009

Wednesday is for Spanish

I bought Living Languages Spanish Coursebook : The Basics. I have tried to start this program before but never got too far with it, so this year I am starting again. There are 40 lessons so I hope to practice one a week (or every two weeks if one lesson is long and hard), hopefully meaning I fill finish the course at the end of the year and be better at understanding and speaking Spanish.

What I like about the book is that it comes with a 3 hour ausio CD of many of the words and phrases found in the book. This allows me to practice pronunciation, but also lets me close my eyes and hear the words, not just read them. I have found in the past what Spansih I have learned I tend to learn through reading- this means that 1) the pronunciation is all off- because it is what I hear in my head, and 2) I have gotten OK at reading basic Spanish, but trying to listen to conversations is almost impossible for me to understand.

Lesson 1 is simple: it is an introduction to how some words, some vowels, and some consonants sond. It is a bunch of names and geographic places along with some simple vocabulary that are examples of basic pronunciation guidelines.

Today and until next Wednesday I'll listen and speak the names and words three times a day and read the chapter again after that, saying the words out loud without the CD on to guide me.

No comments: