1.20.2009

An Afghan Sqaure or Two



I learned something new today. According to wikipedia "An afghan is a blanket, wrap, or shawl of colored wool, knitted or crocheted in geometric shapes". I always thought that the term "afghan" was derived from the place the blanket was made- Afghanistan's or the Middle East. Which meant using the term for something I made was a misnomer and that I should be knitting a "blanket" not an "afghan".. so today I looked it up.. and I was wrong... I am knitting an afghan...

My favorite group on Ravelry is having a block of the month for an afghan. Each month a member posts a pattern and if you make them all at the end you'll have a nice afghan (once it is assembled..)I made the one that was posted to make (double moss stitch) and another that a second member posted as an alternative to the first. I liked them both and I figured I'd either end up with a larger afghan, or if I don't like a block down the road I can omit one later and end up with the same size...

Neither are blocked, so the first looks a little wonky but that will be better later. I tend to block things in groups- don't want to take up a bunch of room with a blocking board for just one little square...

No comments: