1.27.2009

Pretty Versus Functional


I think that sometime between my grandmother's generation (that lived through The Depression) and my generation, things stopped having to be functional and started having to be pretty. I am trying to change that in my life- not that I want to be surrounded by ugliness- just that when it comes to certain things- a little function over form is OK with me.

Take for instance sock yarn. This stuff is expensive- especially if you are buying hand-dyed, hand painted, specialty sock yarn. I'll admit it, if I use my current favorite sock yarn, it will cost me about $22 in yarn just for a pair of socks. I can use other types and get it down to about $10 or so, cheaper if I am lucky and find some on sale, but seriously. A hand knit pair of socks is not an inexpensive thing to have on your feet, typically...

So I have been saving up my sock yarn scraps. When I am done with a pair, if I have left overs I put them in a plastic bag to be used later. And since I do yoga, and I like to exercise on my Wii balance board- yoga socks are a great thing to have around the house. No toe, no heal, you get some warmth with some traction- the best of both worlds.

This is my first pair of mismatched yoga socks. I used the same brand of yarn so they look very even, although the color changes just before the end. Wonderfully functional, not all that pretty. But really, I only exercise alone, so who besides me is gonna see them... and if they do, who cares???

No comments: