8.04.2006

August 3, 2006- Musikfest- Day 0- Set up

It is amazing- every show I do- no matter where I do it, no matter when I do it, no matter how long it has been in existence and how long the promoter has been promoting it- something has to go wrong.

I arrived around 5 pm- to realize that there was an electrical box in the space where my tent was marked to go. And the electrical line running to it was hung so low that even if I moved my tent over a foot or two, I couldn’t put it at full height (or any height for that matter) without having this huge wire draping on the top of my tent. So I called JH.

JH is the Events Manager. I’m an old soul, so I think of him as a young kid, but really in age I’m only I guess about 5 or so years older than him. But he was lovely- he came right down, called the electricians, got it taken care of, and I got to set up.

B is next to me, so while this was happening, she and M showed up to set up and had to wait till the electricians on the bucket truck came in and fixed the mayhem. Then they set up too.

I have a shiny new tent, a tent that when the wind blew in almost blew into the creek that runs behind the tent. I FREAKED as I was in it, sitting on the ground as it started to tip. And I had no clue who was around me and where they were and if they could help. Luckily C was there (I just didn’t know where) and B grabbed it as well, as long as a kind stranger crafter who came rushing to the rescue as I scream at the top of my lungs for help, as I visualize my new spiffy tent floating down the stream and me starting to pray that BJ’s had another one.

After we set up, we all went to Perkins, where the food was good, but the service was slow. It started raining, hard, so hard that the window in our booth started leaking and raining in the inside. So after we ate, C and I went down to check on the status of the tents- to be sure that no branches fell on the tents, to be sure there were no gaping holes in the top or sides. We made it through fine. The oppressive heat of the last week has started to break. We’re gonna have a great show, I can just feel it.

No comments: