5.15.2011

The Day from... well you know where

I should have known it when I didn't sleep well but I thought it was just nerves....

I should have thought twice when Dad hadn't slept good either.....

But I packed the things and we headed out. The drive to Philly wasn't bad at all. The GPS got me close to where I needed to go.

But security was no help. When you don't know the city or the roads and their only assistance was to tell me to "go around"... the stress started.

I got confused as to my map location, so it took me a few minutes to get calm and situated.

We found the show. We got to our space. My neighbors van was in it. We unloaded. Yes Dad, I should have brought the roll cart. Lifting and carrying sucks, I know....

Couldn't find parking. Asked the promoter. our answer.. "yes we know parking sucks around here" just keep looking...

Parked in front of an obviously abandoned building. Yes it was a no parking zone due to the (unused) garage..(honestly I didn't see the sign) but the $51 fine wasn't a nice way to start the day.

Then we realized that our space was waaaayyyyy off the main part of the show. Oh and the church in front of us was having a wedding, so there was a limo in the road for most of the day. And a stick ball tournament behind us, and obnoxiously loud music from the stage just down the street.

Then it rained...

Then it rained harder....

Then dad got a flat tire while trying to move the car closer...

Then I was approached by the promoter. She truly was going to try to make things better the next day, get all of our tents moved closer. Closer to the main part of the show.. right in front of the obnoxiously loud music.

No thank you. Its supposed to rain harder tomorrow. I need a new tire before I drive 100 miles on the spare doughnut tire. I need to save the gas money, and the tolls. I need to take what little money I made (that by some blessing of the crafter gods actually almost covered my booth rent for the day) and go home.

And not come back...

ever....

I am not a city girl. Give me my craft show in the cow pasture. Give me my festivals in the shade of the park, down near the stream. Give me my farm markets, my farmers fairs, my folk festivals and my Christmas markets. But I will not go any farther than the suburbs for show ever again. I will not deal with city traffic, city parking, and city streets. The tall buildings make me claustrophobic. I need to see the sky...

No comments: