5.19.2010

Couch to 5K- Day 1

So i am trying to do the Couch to 5K excercise plan. K sent me a link to a cool podcast that tells your your intervals so you don't have to watch your watch. C bought me a nano and new running shoes...

For those of you who don't know what it is.. basically it is a 12 week excercise/running program that is supposed to get you off your couch and running a 5K. Now I am a little challenged with this... other than some sports in High School, I have never been a runner and a few years ago I got real sick and have had some mild asthma symptoms ever since, especially when excercising. But I decided to give this a go anyway, even if it became the 24 week excercise plan or 52 week for that matter. I just want to build some stamina in my lungs, some muscles in my legs, and maybe as a side effect, loose some fat.

So I started today...It is 80 degrees out and 87% humidity, making San Juan feel like 87 degrees at 9 am. Probably not the ideal conditions to start a running program, but hey, it will seem easier next week when I am back in PA, right?

At home I started with 20 minutes of light yoga/stretching.. The the 5 minute warm up. Intervals of running for one minute and recovery walking for 90 seconds. I couldn't even run the full 60 seconds (more like 45-50) and I only did the interval 4 times (not the 8 I was supposed to), but I walked it all and most of the cool down period too. I am hot, flushed, and thirsty. But I feel like I acomplished a lot for my first try. My lungs got tight and I coughed a few times, but the recovery walks seemed to do just that- let me recover.

If my legs don't hurt I may try again tomorrow for a few intervals, or I may rest like the program suggests. I will be really happy when I can at least do this weeks plan ...baby steps!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

WTG!!! great that you did it and great that you're listening to your body!
YEAH YOU!!!!!!!!