7.31.2012

Week of July 23-30 + Fleetwood Blues Festival

It was a pretty tough week. I relearned a few things that I know but has let slip on by and they all came to bite me at the same time.

I learned to stay with my strengths. I had a special order that was out of my usual repertoire, but since this customer has been with me for a long time I decided to give it a try. Many hours later, a dozen or so failed attempts, I just couldn't get the look they desired. I think I knew that when I said I would try it, but I forged on anyway. I disappointed them, I frustrated myself, and I used up valuable time for both of us. It really bummed me out.

Always get estimates in writing. I had an item special made by a vendor I hadn't used before, but they came highly recommended. We spoke on the phone and by email, and I had a general idea of the cost, but when the finished product came, and then the invoice, I was disappointed in the overall cost. It was about double what I had understood it would be. Now they claim I changed things and that was the cost difference. I say I pointed out obvious mistakes and suggested some improvements to an inferior product.

Always get a consignment agreement in writing. I played fast and loose last year and consigned my products in a store that was being opened by someone I knew from events I do. Now I am owed money and have nothing serious in writing. Now the amount is so low that even having something in writing wouldn't get me my money, it would cost too much to go to court, but it could have been thousands instead of hundreds, so this was my wake up call to play by my own rules.

Take some time for fun. I had been at my wits end with all of this drama and getting ready for shows, adding in a new kitten making work difficult, and just overall being tired. But a dinner with a friend and a day out with C and Dad rejuvenated me. I got more done in the days following my fun time than I would have if I had stayed home to work that day.

Sunday Dad did the Fleetwood Blues Festival. This let me get a bunch of stuff done and seriously reduced my stress quotient. The show was OK but not fantastic. Dad thought that having the crafters bunched together would have been better than having them spread amongst other types of vendors. He also had some early issues with his booth placement, it seemed that one person told him where to go, and another didn't agree with it. And of course anytime you are pretty close to music all day it can get tiring and luckily dad had earplugs because a few bands were just too loud for him. I think with a few tweaks this show can transcend from a good music festival to a great overall festival. The attendance was high and the people dedicated, even waiting out a storm, so that is not a worry. Look for this one to get better every year becuase they are definitely on the right track.

Well Musikfest loads in Thursday and the next few weeks will be crazy busy, hope to see you all out and about town!





No comments: