4.28.2009

Yarn makes me feel a little better

Knitting is bittersweet these last few days. I sit in my favorite chair with a different kitty beside me, and another on the pillow behind my head. It is a new experience with the other two cats acting differently to the yarn that moves near them and sometimes over them. I have been knitting a lot of wet yarn as they investigate and chew this ribbon of fiber that intrigues them, so they bite it and lick it, and use the ball as a pillow.

But I still find knitting comforting and it is the only thing I feel like doing since I got the news.

While I was away I did get to go to a wonderful yarn store. It is the best store I have ever been to. I love the way it is laid out- with animal yarns in one room and vegetable yarns in another, and then by type, manufacturer and color. For the first time I was actually overwhelmed by the yarn and my choices.

But C spoiled me. I planned on one or two skeins of local yarn.. I ended up with 10. One dyed locally, some camel, some buffalo (in hindsight I should have gotten the yak too), and lots of malabrigo test yarns that I could get no place else.

I can't wait to get to start knitting them. I have just a few washcloths to finish and then I can do some serious casting on. I think I'll do socks, and some lace, and I am not sure what else. Not to mention I need to start to knit my dad's father's day gift.

But I keep just wanting to put my face in the yarn, to smell it, to feel how soft it is, and to snuggle up to it and take a nap. I am fighting the desire to cast on for something right now, to take the whole day and indulge myself in knitting. But instead I have made a compromise with myself. Do 3 things on my list to do, then knit for 45 minutes. This will go on and on til bed time, and maybe on into tomorrow as well. It seems like a good way to balance right now. Balance my need for some self-indulgence and my need to catch up with work and the business. Well this entry is done, one thing down, two to go, then some yarn in my hands:)

No comments: