4.07.2009

My Afgan is Looking Good


This is the block for March. I have my spacer blocks almost finished and the pattern for April begging to be knit. Once I get those done I can start to assemble. Onec I have a few strips assembles I can start to knit the spacer strips because I will know exactly how much length I need.

The finished blanket will be at least 6'x4' and probably closer to 7'x5' when it is finished. It will be big and heavy and warm and pretty. I can't wait! It kills me that the patterns are relased on a month to month basis, that no matter how I try I will be knitting into 2010 to finish this up. Whew, a whole year. So far each square has taken me about 4 hours to complete on average. So it will be at least 100 hours, just in the sqaures. The spacer strips will take longer and assembly hours as well. And don't ask me how much the yarn will cost... I don't want to admit that to anyone. Let's jsut say that if I was to sell this when it was finished it wouldn't be for any less that $1500.00 due to the hours and yarn involved...

But I do think I have a love of afgans and I mught try to do another next year. There are some great patterns out there for them. The sqaures are challenging but not large so I feel like I learn something new each step of the way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks great! I do love this KAL. I'm finally making some progress on my March block -- I couldn't wrap my head around it at first... Are you planning to back your afghan with anything? I think I'm going to back it with fleece, and then tie it like a quilt so it doesn't stretch out...

Unknown said...

I don't think I'll back it., I am knitting it with Summit Hill which is alot like Cascade 220. So itis going to be heavy. I think it will spend most of the time on the back of the sofa once it is done. I am knitting it to match the chair next to the sofa anyways..