9.28.2005

Eagle Mills- Day 2- Weekend 2

I was thinking how I had never posted about the last day of Eagle Mills. I think it is funny how sometimes things need to bang around in my head for a few days, while other times I have a witty rhetoric right away. This has been a little combination of the two.

The day itself was a waste. The sales just weren’t there. The rain was on and off. Mostly off, but always looming. It was cold and uncomfortable; the kind of cold that just sort of eats through you and lingers no matter what. I tried hot chocolate, I tried hot cider, I tried soup, the four layers of clothes on didn't help much either. It is worse when you are bored because you aren't moving around as much and the cold just sinks in. Overall I made as much as I needed to equal last year, and in the economy today, that in itself is a miracle.

But the highlight of the day was D and B stopping by to visit. In high school if you asked me if I was friends with them I would have answered yes, but looking back on it as an adult we were much more just acquaintances. We knew many of the same people, we ended up at many of the same events, we just never shared deep dark secrets or our life's ambitions, two things that as an adult, help me define my true friends. I digress….

B had been by the booth the day before and bought some stuff, went home and recognized me, and then came by the next day with D. It was really cool to have someone come by and chat and catch up. But the best was that it wasn't a "me versus you" chat, you know, the kind where the person talking only talks about themselves and is trying to show you how much better they are than you. It was just a nice conversation about what they had been up to, how their lives had changed, and a quick update on some of the people we both knew in school. I found myself telling them that we need to stay in touch and maybe get together for dinner when I come though again- and I actually meant it! After spending so much of the show feeling like an outsider, it was so nice to feel a little on the inside, a little missed.

1 comment:

David said...

cool
very cool new template