9.02.2005

Allentown Fair- Day 3

Well I wasn't there but I heard from B this morning that sales were still slow. It's not just us though, in general the place seems much emptier than in years past she says. I really think it is hard to ask people who are paying over $3 a gallon at the pump, and who are afraid that it may raise into the $4-$5 gallon range to go out and spend their money at a local fair. I also think those images from New Orleans takes the wind out of people. I sure don't feel like celebrating anything, or having any fun. I rally think shows for the rest of the year will be really hard hit. What all of us artisans and crafters make are luxury goods, and I think we may be at the point where fewer people can afford luxury, and most who can, feel guilty about having a little luxury right now.

However I wasn't there. It was dad's last day with us and I had spent the day fighting back a headache that split into a migraine as we drove to the restaurant. Poor dad spent his last night eating alone, while C tried to pile me into bed and generally take care of me. Looking back I should have known it was coming, but I ignored the signs. I must start taking better care of myself.

No comments: