7.13.2005

Dad Update- 5

Today was the pre exam for the Colonoscopy. Doc is 99% sure that dad's symptoms have nothing to do with his colon, but if he does happen to find any polyps while he's in there, (in there, up there, what is the correct term?) he will remove them immediately. This fun and exciting procedure is scheduled for next Thursday. Yep, right in the middle of my UWBW meeting. Nothing like timing, but its hard to look at you dad and say "I know you need this procedure done, but I want to put it off so I can attend an nonessential business meeting"... well it is essential to me, just not essential to his immediate well being. You know what I mean…

As for the procedure itself, remind me never to live into my 50's. You get to eat breakfast, and a light lunch, and then you take 4 Dulcalax and drink 64 ounces of this other prescribed laxative, and then sit and wait. Sit on the throne that is, while your body empties its contents, so you are as clean on the inside as you are on the outside when you go to the appointment the next day. It's about an 18-hour fasting period between taking your first laxative and going into the procedure. He should be done by noon on Thursday and cranky from the lack of sleep, food, and coffee... fun…

That will make next week the third week in a row where he has had three or more appointments or tests run. He's been poked and prodded so much he is going to run back to the truck as soon as he can just to get away from all the doctors. Counting all we have scheduled right now, it will be 11 exams or procedures in the first 31 days (22 business days) since he arrived. Whew, I'm tired…

No comments: