7.04.2005

Dad Update 1

Well its has been an interesting and hard week around here. First, this is the longest time my dad and I have spent in the same place since I was 14, and second, I think watching someone suffer in pain is one of the hardest things in the world to do. This past week has been a week without doctors, and a week of ups and downs. The week started and he was in serious pain, with few pain meds left. I'm, talking 4 Aleve and 1 Vicodin type of pain. I know these levels of meds are not good for his body, his liver, his kidneys, but there is a trade off at some level, isn't there? Mid week, he was feeling better, more manageable, even had a day with no meds at all. Right now he is laying in the sofa in the same shape he started in, twinges of pain shooting up his body, his face red from discomfort. It’s July 4th so there is no one to call really, and he has a doctor's appointment tomorrow anyway. Its with the Urologist, and we think its will be no help. His PSA test came back within normal levels, but we know his prostate is enlarged- but to cause this much pain, I seriously doubt it. In fact, all of his blood work came back within normal levels (except his cholesterol is a little high, and only a little). This is a mystery, but my bet is on a broken hip or pelvis. Tomorrow after the Urologist we call the General Practitioner again, and get some pain management going, and hopefully an appointment with an Orthopedic. I can't believe that no one in their right mind has sent him for a simple X-ray. The system of medicine and insurance in this country needs a major overhaul. I can hear him gasp in pain from my computer as I type this, it makes me nauseous, it makes me sick..

No comments: