5.07.2012

April 23-May 6, 2012

It has been a great few weeks, busy and fun, and inspiring all at the same time.

April 25th I went to the big book sale in Bethlehem with my best friend. I picked up great books on running, macrame, bobbin lace, and cooking. Each year I add to my awesome collection of vintage fiber related books because of this stellar sale. The 26 was the Craft Night Out put on by the IndieMade Craft Market. I was hoping turn out would have been a little bigger, but I had so much fun that by the end of the night I didn't care. I got top meet some great customers face to face (they often only see Dad at farm markets) and got to get into wonderfully deep conversations about ingredients, labeling law, and a host of other subjects.

Then I got to go visit my mom. This is always such a great time for me. This year we fit in a visit to Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory and explored Massachusetts and Vermont for a few days. We went to a candy manufacturer, a yarn shop (of course), one of the most awesome fabric store I have ever seen, and a hots of other places that we stopped at just because they looked interesting. The food was great- we had franks and beans one night for dinner at the local diner! She made me a few more skirts for the Kutztown Folk Festival, new table covers, and a great sun dress. It is always just such a fun, laid back time together. Now I have tons of photos of plants, flowers, birds, and butterflies to try and base new soap color combos off of in the future.

When I got back it was time to pack up and get ready for show season to begin. Dad had the Strawberry Festival at Peddler's Village both the 5th and 6th. He did really well. Sales were up and the the weather held out to give us the first rather dry Spring show in years. There were a few booth placement missteps- we were close to another Soapmaker, and a few potters were right next to each other, but besides that the show was set up and run like a well oiled machine. I loved the fact that they brought the check-in/out table to us so there was no running through the village trying to get paperwork in.

Sunday I had the Chestnut Hill Home and Garden Show. We were back in front of Jenks School (in the fall my booth was moved... I applied late... it was my bad) and my customers had no problems finding us. The day's sales were not quite as solid as last year, but not too far off either. I was very happy and felt very tired at the end of the day. Always a great sign when you are too busy to eat!

So now I have a few days to get ready for next weekend. Lots of administrative to deal with and I need to pack inventory and forgotten items (can you believe I forgot to bring business cards??). Right now I am getting over an eye doctor's appointment. They dilated my pupils so everything is bright and weird looking. Typing this has taken me longer than expected.

Hope to see you all soon and have a great week!

No comments: