5.21.2012

Landmark Gardens and Nursery

Since I started this blog in 2005 I have posted my thoughts and feelings about EVERY event I have done. Good and bad, small and big. It is only as technology advances that all show reviews have become extremely public to people outside of the industry. With dozens of events to choose from each weekend, we need to arm ourselves with all the information that we can gather. I think professional craftspeople know that not every event is for them. Although I thought I posted a fair review of a small event that has loads of potential, but may not be for the professional crafts person as of yet.Many of us will not do "mixed vendor" shows (artisians/direct sales/antiques) or shows sety up on dirt, gravel, or in a field. There are always different ways of interpreting things, but all I was saying was that for a business that sells 170 days a year out at events, this one was not one we will go back to, but we think could be good for others.



I feel that it is only fair that the email I received from them be posted in their defense.



Hi Hedge, I want to thank you for trying out our Market Days. As you know, with any new adventure, it will take time, money and persistence to make it become what we envision. This morning I read your soap box article and became a bit upset. Although sales may not have been what you had expected, we did have a steady flow of traffic of which I was proud of. I agree that we need to bring in more crafters. (Again, a work in progress). Had you set up on Sunday, you would have maybe enjoyed the additional crafters that participated. I guess the reason I am sad about your post is because I did everything I could do to make the day successful. I advertised your business in our newsletters and was very excited to have you participate. Your business is exactly the type of business we want to promote at our Market Days. Excellent products, very informative and I even purchased some things for myself. Although I appreciate that you recognize the potential, your article hurts us as a small business trying to grow into something wonderful. You may have just scared away potential vendors and customers, although I don't think that was your intention. As for the direct sales vendors (your think avon comment), many of these woman are raising money for an additional cause in there life. Whether it be they are a single mom trying to make extra income, or they have an autistic child and cannot work a 9-5 job. At first, I wanted to shy away from these type of vendors, but my heart told me that many of them are working just as hard to make a dollar. I am happy when they tell me they had a good day. Again, I do want to thank you for being there on Saturday. I was proud to have you there as a vendor and wished you had done extremely well. I am always open to feedback (both positive and negative), I'm just wishing I didn't have to read it on a public forum. All my best- Colleen



In no way was I trying to "scare away" vendors. Just tell of my experience, and my thoughts. And again, this was not anything new, there are hundreds of reviews since 2005. I was not singling anyone out, being mean, or trying to ruin anyone's day.

No comments: