5.21.2012

May 14-20, 2012

This week was quite a roller coaster. On Sunday C left for an overseas business trip, it is the farthest he has ever been away and one of the longer trips too. We have been apart longer, but we were with our respective families so there was much less stress and worry attached to the trip. So for most of the week sleep was pretty elusive and I felt rather on edge. I tried to channel this energy into getting things done around the house and around the workshop. I think it pretty much worked.

Monday we took the day to recuperate and catch up. Lots of paperwork, bills, banking, and miscellaneous things to take care of. We made a batch of the Himalayan Sea Salt Soap because sales of it over the weekend were overwhelming and we started running out! Tuesday and Wednesday we made Amyris Soap and Ginger White Tea Soap.

Thursday was the Bethlehem Farmer's Market at Campus Square and it was another fantastic week of sales. The weather was terrific as well. Friday was the opening day of the Bath Farmer's Market in Keystone Park and that was way, way better than we had hoped for it to be. Dad was happy to be back at his favorite farm market, with his feet in the grass.

And we are so glad that those days went well, because the weekend shows did not. I was at Philadelphia On Parade at the Mann Center in Fairmount Park. I was the only true crafts person there. There were a few fair trade stands and then the rest were junk. I cannot convey my disappointment that an arts center would allow the sale of knock off handbags and bang-snaps (those little fireworks kids throw on the ground that make noise). I met some lovely people, but sales were agonizingly slow and by the end of the day I was happy to have made back my booth fee, gas, tolls, and be able to bring B (who came with me for help) out to dinner at a local diner.

Dad had a similar experience at the Landmark Nursery and Garden. Now this event has potential to turn into something great, but right now, it just wasn't for us. Most of the tables were flea market or direct sell (think Avon) stands. He was set up on a dusty, gravel area, and sales were so slow that we decided that he wouldn't go back on Sunday. It was also a two day event, but you had to break down after the first day so there was no incentive to just keep it all up and go back the next day. If this business keeps at this, keeps advertising, keeps getting vendors, and tries to get actual crafters, I think this could be a good thing. It is just too early in it's infancy for us to keep going back for more weekends.

So Sunday we both had off. We relaxed during the morning and hit a flea market ourselves to go junk shopping. We didn't find anything good. Once home, I made lip balms, some pink lemonade and a special order I had to get done. We got the garden planted. I don't have room for anything more until after the garlic comes out in a month or so.

Well no more typing for me, I have to go make some soap, get those lip balms labeled, and catch up on some bills. Have a great week, hope to see you at Mayfair!

No comments: