5.29.2012

Mayfair Festival of the Arts Day 5

And finally there was some sun!

The day itself was a little slower than I had hoped it would be after four days of rain, but the holiday is usually reserved for events with the family at home, not necessarily for days out in a park at a festival. For me, overall, sales were down 40%. I can attribute much of that to the weather. Soap just doesn't sell well in the wet and humidity.

I know I will be back next year as long as they keep the same pricing structure for booth rental as they had this year. Sales were down, but it was still worth it enough for me to come back again at least one more time. I loved my spot, it was shady in the sun, relatively dry, and in a well traveled location. In nice weather I can expand my display, I am not squished in with my neighbors, and the set up and dismantle was easy.

But I know it wasn't worth it for some others. There was some vandalism during the night so some people came in Monday to missing items and tents slashed with what probably was a box knife. It is sad that people would do that to independent artisans that own their own businesses. I hope there is a special hell for people who would do this to someone who works hard with their own hands and creativity, to give birth to items that are so uniquely personal that buying one is like taking home a little piece of someone else. For many this was just the last insult added to the injury of four rainy days with slow sales and uncomfortable conditions. It was the last straw for at least a few people I know who won't be returning next year.

But I am glad that it is over this year. I hope that the wet show is not a harbinger of what to expect this season. I am looking for a few new events to add to the schedule to make up for lost sales, but those are pretty easy to find.

Today I unpack, wash everything I can, and dry everything else out. No rest for the weary this week...

No comments: