2.07.2007

Jan 15-21 2007 Week 3

So I spent four days at J’s sicker than a dog.

Monday was horrible as I got close and intimate with her bathroom as well. We tried going to a yarn store, but I couldn’t stand long enough to enjoy the experience, so we decided to try again on Tuesday.

Tuesday I was feeling better, but still had no desire to eat any solid food whatsoever. I had some buttered pasta for dinner which was nice, and we finally got the chance to leave the house. We saw the exhibit Our Body: The Universe Within. J loved it, it was right up her nurse/medical alley. I really enjoyed it, there was just a few things that sort of creeped me out- like the finger nails still on the severed arms (for some reason it made me think of my grandmother, with her wrinkles and her nails that had so many ridges on them) and the hair on the who-who of the females. I think for me these are things that really spoke to me regarding the humanity of the exhibit. That these were real people who were donated to science. It made me think about the Chinese government and whether or not these people knowingly and willing gave their bodies for this exhibit. And if it really matters- I mean, for me I believe the body is a shell that holds my soul, so what happens to it after I am dead makes no matter for me. If my body could help science than that is a bonus to me. But each person holds their own beliefs and they should be respected. So I suggest that anyone who can see it should see it, because I think beyond the science, and the spectacle, for me the experience was spiritual.

We also stopped at a few yarn stores and I picked up quite a bit of cotton yarn that I had never seen before. I love being able to get a chance to get new things that my customers will not see in the stores around here. For me it makes knitting the bath mitts and washcloths so much more interesting to be able to experience new yarns as well.

Wednesday J and I went to breakfast with her mother-in-law M. I ate a plain waffle, so food was agreeing with me better and better. Later we brought K to see Charlotte’s Web. J and I cried through the entire movie, and K looked at us like we were crazy. We couldn’t stop thinking about people we have loved who have passed, and people we know who are sick. I guess that was a great example of ignorance is bliss, and how growing up makes us know and understand things so much better than children. For dinner we made a pot roast that didn’t turn out the way we wanted (the crock pot didn’t get hot enough) but we saved it. I ate lots of potatoes and carrots and a little meat and my tummy seemed fine…

Thursday we made one last stop at a yarn shop to pick up a few skeins before I left and then headed off to the airport. On the way there I was thinking how good I felt and that it was too bad that I wasted my time with J being sick. On the airplane my throat started getting scratchy and sore…my nose started running… and I got home feeling pretty lousy. After I got back to the house I needed to go through the mail, bring in boxes that had arrived and clean up the house some.

Friday I started feeling even worse but cleaned my bathroom, sent out some orders, and answered e-mails and phone calls.

By Saturday when C came home I had a full out cold including cough and sniffles, as well as a fever and aches. So I slept almost all day.

Sunday was the same but I had decided to see a doctor on Monday if I could get an appointment. I was taking copious amounts of Theraflu and Nyquil. I was so sick I didn’t even want to knit, now that is sick.

No comments: