5.29.2005

Week 20 Accomplishements

Week 20

Monday: Monday was filled with getting things on the "honey do" list done. It included a new doorbell, some shelves for the bathroom (which we couldn't find anywhere and never got done), Installing a new thermostat, bringing things up into the attic and down to the basement where they belong, getting lawn stuff (like a hose holder) and leveling the washer so it stops leaking.

Tuesday: I did lots of homework and then still just some stuff around the house. Laundry, etc. C is home this week so I cooked a good dinner and we just had a quiet night.

Wednesday: I got everything ready for the craft show this weekend, and we went and set up the tent. I have a great space right at the end of the garden market section, next to a photographer and a potter. We have a nice view of the lake too. Luckily the wood carver across the way is pretty far away, as his chainsaw is really loud, but I don' t think it wil be a bother. We are also close enough to a stage to hear the music, but not so close we'll have to shout over it and have people blocking the booth watching the entertainment.

Thursday: Show day! Its started out much slower than I had anticipated. We had a big mix up with the electricity and learned that we have to have a 12-gauge extension cord (which they told us before I bought 2 new 14 gauges on Monday! Luckily C stopped at Lowes on the way home from work and bought enough for 4 of us crafters. He saves the day again! All in all I was bummed, on a multi-day festival I like to make my "booth fee" back the first night- then it feels like the rest of the festival is all profit, but I came up short tonight.

Friday: Well, sales are still slow. I think it has to do with the fact that this is the first year this show has charged to get in. Many people just aren't coming out until the bands they like are playing. I also think its mostly demographics. The main headliner band tonight is some pop teenie bopper who draws out the young girls. This just isn't the age range that buys handmade soaps. And I think this was well reflected in the fact that all I really did sell that night was lip balms!

Saturday: Now we're talkin'! Sales started strong right off the bat. I had a few large purchases by new customers and a few repeats come buy as well. Mid afternoon we had a bad rainstorm with some wicked winds, but we survived and stayed dry (but cold). After it blew past, the crowds were significantly smaller than they were before, with many people waiting till today to come back. But overall, sales were strong even with the rain, and I got to meet some cool people who just popped in to stay dry. We did decide that one of our major purchases for this year will be a new tent. We want a CraftHut or a LightDome. Those puppies never even move in a rainstorm, and don't leak a drop. Time to get a serious tent…

Sunday: Two more day of shows.. will post again later….

No comments: