5.10.2005

Show Report- Albany Tulip Festival

Albany Pinksterfest- Tulip Festival

I grew up near Albany, and I must admit, I still haven't a clue what a Pinkster is, and why they have a festival. Although Pinksterfest is much more commonly referred to as the Tulip Festival and is held annually on Mother's Day Weekend. This year I learned on the local news that 13 of the past 15 years have rained on Mothers Day, but we were lucky enough just to have to deal with some terrible winds.

Although this festival has a few drawbacks including a big pain to tear down, usually bad weather, and what feels like 10% of the vendors make soap, it remains to be one of my favorite festivals because of the perks. I get to see my mom on Mother's Day, I get to stay at her place for free, she comes and helps me at the show, and the fact that I get to pick up my birthday present in person are just a few of the bonuses of this show.

So this year I made in 2 days only a little more than I made in 1 day (the 2nd was rained out), last year. Overall, I noticed very few people walking by with bags; I would be surprised if sales all around weren’t down. They also add more and more vendors each year, spreading the consumer's dollars thinner and thinner. Not to mention the glut of soapmakers (I think there were at least 6 this year, maybe as many as 8). At some point during the next few years I will have to determine if this show is worth the gas, time, and energy, but I'll be back in 2006 I'm sure. If the next few years continue to decline, I'll just skip the show and visit mom, rather than doing both.

As for the most popular items:
Soaps: Black Cherry Oatmeal
Bath Fizzys: Love Potion
Lotion Bars: Lavender Fields
Lip Balm: Pina Colada

No comments: