11.28.2011

Christkindlmarkt 2011: Day 7

It was a great day to cap off the second week of the event. I had a steady flow of customers and the weather was beautiful so the tent was warm all day.

Dad was nice and warm over in his hut as well but fell short of his days sales goals by $3... In all I am very happy with his sales for the weekend and I am very proud of the hard work he has been putting in.

My sales fell short of last year's, but I have the two strongest weeks of sales coming up so I think I will catch up and do just fine.

Today I am thankful for my best friend and her husband. C locked himself out of the house and her husband came to the rescue with the spare key. It saved up a lot of grief, either with an emergency lock smith or breaking a window (which probably would be cheaper to fix than calling a locksmith). After the show we met for dinner and got to blow off some steam and compare notes and most importantly have fun and laugh a lot.

She is afraid for me. She is afraid that taking part in both craft events this winter will anger the ArtsQuest gods and I will be blackballed from their events next year. I have more faith in them than that. Yes there are rumors that this has happened to other artisans, but I don't think that any situation is that easy to explain, and I don't think that listening to rumors and hearsay is the way to make business decisions.

I made a business decision based on what I thought would be best for my business and my family. I looked at my financial needs, the crumbling economy, and my options. Being that we only travel 60 miles from the house for craft shows, there are only so many I can choose from to participate in. Yes, that means some weekends dad and I will be at competing shows, but that can't be avoided. And I am like the mayor of Bethlehem, I think both of these events compliment each other and having them both is an amazing opportunity for the city itself.

I believe that ArtsQuest will continue to support the local artisan and I will continue to support it and have faith in them as long as it does just that.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

yeah for your dad
yeah for BFF
yeah for you
and fingers crossed nothing comes of the competing market stuff for next year!
i just got my c2 5 k app uploaded onto my ipod again - after 9 weeks of serious WW i'm finally under the 60 kg mark so i think (stupidlyhope is more like it) that my plantar fascitis wont flare up...fingers crossed!