5.08.2006

May 6 & 7- Strawberry Festival

Strawberry Festival- Peddler’s Village- Lahaska, PA May 6&7 2006

Most other crafters at the show that I spoke with said that this has been their worst show in this location- ever. And I thought that myself until I got home and looked at last years numbers. I’ll say one thing is for sure- it was a slooooo show. Only an average of about 4 sales an hour slow, getting 3 bath mitts a day knit slow…I did worse with sales last year, but not by much, I sold less than $100 more this year, and it still was a less than stellar performance.

My problem is that this is a festival that has a craft area, not a craft festival. We would all benefit if they put our booths in the village square- but then the shop owners would feel the loss in revenue because of our presence. Instead, we are out in a field, across the street, where you see us if you park, or take a bus trip in (because you need to meet your bus there), but the majority of the people who come to the festival never bother to come take a look (unless you are bringing your kids to ride the ponys). More and more the demographic of the people taking bus trips is getting older and older, and with fixed incomes and things like the price of heating your home over the winter to contend with, well, there just isn’t as much disposable income to go around anymore…

I love this show, it is within an hour from the house, it is in a nice location, easy to set up and tear down, good crafters around me, good people buying and looking….but I will really have to take a look next year at my options and keep an open mind rather than just blocking out the weekend for this particular show and ignoring other opportunities on this date.

No comments: