5.27.2007

May 25 and May 26, 2007 Days 2 & 3 Mayfair Festival of the Arts

Mayfair Day 2 & Mayfair Day 3

The weather was nice, no rain on Friday, but the heat was almost overwhelming. I know that crafters tend to be complainers, but this year’s show seems to have more and more complaints than ever. As usual, or local newspaper decided to publish an article about how bad the show is, how expensive the gate fee is, how the vendors aren’t making any money, etc, right as the show starts. What amazes me is that this paper sponsors the event and then talks so and about it. If it sucks so much, stop giving it your money and let it just flounder and eventually go away…

Another pet peeve of mine is vendors coming in from out of state and not respecting the show grounds. I have two vendors near me that feel that it is their right to spray paint about 30 feet behind their booth. They lay down cardboard, or plastic, but if you walk back there, plenty of paint makes it to the grass. Now beyond my environmental concerns (which are many), this event takes place in a public park. If I went into the park on a random day and spray painted the grass I would be fined, possibly arrested... but these people feel they can come in and just do as they please, and the show promoters can’t be idiots, they just let it happen…And this isn’t these vendors first rodeo, I mean they do many shows, so I am guessing many promoters all over the country let them get away with this crap, why else would they think they can do it here? How we as artisans, as business people, supposed to be respected, are we supposed to earn our money from a local population, when such blatant disrespect for the event local is demonstrated…

As for Friday sales- they were OK. Not fabulous, but enough that it brought up the projected sales for the show into a possibility of being reached, if there are 3 more strong days of sales.

Saturday the heat was still upon us and around 7 pm the rains began. I sold pretty well until the late afternoon and then for me everything just died. For B it was the opposite, she sold after 7 pm, but not much before. Of course I think so many people went into the big tent to avoid the rain, because she had many, many more people walking by her than I had walking by me and I am just across the path from the tent where she is located.

K wasn’t feeling well so I did the show alone. I got some things done- labeled lotion bars, and stated to knit a bath mitt, and culled my mailing list. I got out all the duplicates and the spam e-mails, and the old addresses. I figure I’ll save myself $150 in postage over then next 12 months just by getting the duplicates out of the mail system and leaving them in the e-mail system.

K got a real job- I am very happy for her as it is more stable and more money, but I am bummed. I have been spoiled over the last few weeks, not just to have help, but to have companionship. Sometimes I forget just how lonely I get working in my basement… I hope she still helps me on the weekends…

No comments: