5.01.2007

April 28, 2007 Bloomsburg Renaissance Jamboree

10am-5pm
Grey Sky, Cool Air, Breezy

The last time I attended this show was two years ago. That day the sun was out, the people were out, and I sold a good days worth of sales…

This time it was grey, cold, and damp, and I sold less than ½ of what I did two years ago. The crowd has completely changed. Gone are the people looking for spring things, for Mother’s Day gifts, and here are the drunken college kids who can barely stand.

There were many empty booths that started the day and many more before the end of it as vendors packed up and left early. It was a simple show to get into (not the chaos and crowds that I remembered from years past) and set up was a breeze. If I had known my one neighbor wasn’t going to show up I would have displayed my stuff much differently. My other neighbor barely made any of what he was selling and didn’t have a problem telling customers as much. But the show was supposed to be all handmade and he shouldn’t have been there. But like moths to a flame, the crowd was drawn to cheap, shiny jewelry and he made out OK.

I did learn of some new shows and I got a few laughs people watching (intoxicated people golf putting is FUNNY!) and I got some unexpected questions about my merchandise (do you use bubble bags to make bubbles like a wand?).

At the end we had to drive through what was 50 cop cars from at least 5 different townships that were breaking up what we assumed was a fight at a college block party.

Best Sellers: Patchouli Soap, Black Cherry Bath Fizzys, Washcloths….

No comments: